Sausages taste so good but they can be a little scary when you don’t know what’s in them. Make them at home with quality ingredients and have no fear. Sausages are surprisingly easy to make, especially if you make patties.
If you want to stuff them into casings you will need a sausage stuffer and casings. D’uh!
- 5 pounds of ground pork (20% fat content)
- 2 tbs of kosher salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper (more if you like some heat)
- 1 1/2 tsp of mace
- 1 1/2 tsp of dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp of rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp ground corriander
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Mix the ingredients by hand in a large mixing bowl or with the flat paddle on your KitchenAid.
- Once the mixture is thoroughly mixed, make a small sausage patty and fry it in a little oil to do a taste test. You can then adjust your spices in the mixture to make them just the way you like them.
- When you are happy with your mixture, form into patties and freeze what you will not use right away.