This is a great option for anyone in a gluten free rut! Most vegetables can be substituted, but onion is key.
pakora with a sweet chilli dipping sauce
- 2 cups chickpea/garbanzo bean flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 potato
- optional: cilantro
- sunflower or oil of choice for deep frying
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole dried chilis, ground
- Add all the dipping sauce ingredients to a small pan with 2 tablespoons of water. Gently bring to the boil, stirring. Boil for around 5 minutes until slightly reduced. Chill.
- Parboil potato in boiling water until cooked but not mushy. Mix garbanzo flour with spices, optional cilantro and 1 cup room temperature or warm water. Add onion and potato. Fry around a tablespoon for each pakora, at 375F until dark golden in color. Serve warm with dipping sauce.