Perfect for a late fall day, a warming hearty soup with lots of flavor, but make sure your spices are fresh for the best results. This soup freezes well.
spiced carrot, orange and cilantro soup
- 8 cups peeled and chopped carrots (this can be done in a food processor to speed things up)
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 small or 3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 plus 1 tablespoons of butter
- 2 liters vegetable stock
- one small bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Heat oil and 3 tablespoons of butter in a very large saucepan.
- Add onions and fry over a low heat for a few minutes.
- Add celery and potatoes and fry for a few more.
- Add carrots, cover pan and sweat over a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock and simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and blend soup in a food processor or with a hand held immersion blender.
- Fry spices in a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon of butter until fragrant, around 1 minute.
- Add toasted spices, cilantro and orange juice to the soup. Season to taste.