This classic desert is brought to life with some exotic spices.
apple pie with cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tbsp sugar plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cream
- 4 to 5 cups of apples, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup apple juice (preferred) or water
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- Mix first 3 pastry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in butter until pea sized pieces are left (or use paddle attachment of a Kitchen Aid). Mix in cream until just combined. Form dough into a ball, flatten slightly in preparation for rolling, place on cling film and refrigerate for an hour. (Note - dough can be frozen at this stage).
- Place all the filling ingredients in a large pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Cool slightly. Remove dough and place on a floured surface. Keep 1/4 for top layer and roll out the other 3/4 to slightly larger that pie dish. Roll out leftover dough and cut into strips. Place dough in pie dish and add filling, top with strips. Brush dough strips with milk or egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 for 30 to 45 minutes.